Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Week 8 Update

Although not weekly, I am updating my 6yo's school progress.  It'll be fun to look back in a few years and see all the leaps and bounds that happened.

Math
Georgie is really enjoying the CC skip counting songs, and particularly likes 2s and 5s.  She has completed the Math U See lessons that include adding 0, 1, 2, 9, and 8, and solving for the unknown...but, according to MUS, I probably should not be passing her through these. There are a few concepts that she really struggles with.  I think that she'll get past it with age and maturity, so for now I'm just plodding on.  At some point, I'll probably back up and review with flashcards, so that she gets quicker with her addition and stops trying to use her fingers.  It might be a good idea for me to do this now, but it's hard to put aside a workbook - especially when she pulls it out proudly and wants to complete a page or two. But I also know that when one area of growth is stagnant, another is taking off exponentially.  This would describe her reading:)

Reading
She has liked picking out picture books and trying to read to me for the past year.  I would tag-team read with her (like, I read most of it, but let her find words she knows, or I'd point to a word I thought she might know).  This seemed to fuel her desire to read, and everything was working underneath the surface.  One day, I thought I'd try Frog and Toad, which was definitely too hard for her.  Lo and behold, she tackled far more of it than she or I thought she could do!  It exhausted her, but it also spurred her on to reading other books.  Now, she reads 1-2 books to me in bed each night, and I read to her another book.  She is reading Dr Suess type books like Green Eggs and Ham, a Wocket in my Pocket, and Wacky Wednesday.  I also pick out level 1 readers for her when I find them. 

Phonics
Although her reading skills are bursting, her phonics skills need a little work.  Even so, she's catching on visually to sight words, and adopting them into her reading vocab.  Still, we're working through phonics, because decoding skills are important.  She's currently working on Explode the Code 3, with the silent E words and long, lonely vowel words (sky, fry, try, go, no, hi, he, me, etc.)

Writing
Like her reading, she's taking off with writing, too. She has a little address book that someone gave her, and every day she fills it with an ongoing story about a cat:)  It's really adorable!  She also frequently writes us letters about how she feels about us.  It's so sweet.

(Sidenote: this is an update post about this particular child:)  Just a reminder that every child grows on their own timetable.  I'm not doing anything especially grand in order to have a reading, writing, and skip counting child.  I remember being eager for my 1st child to read and write, and did everything I could to give her "the right environment".  I had checklists of all the things I should be doing, and I did them faithfully.  Friends offered advice, and all I could answer was, "I AM doing those things, but thanks for sharing what worked for you."  Yes, setting a good example and creating a positive reading environment IS important, but it isn't 100% foolproof, either.  The whole process always seems like a mystery to me.  It goes like this - "struggle, struggle, struggle, struggle, struggle - then POOF!" with some plateaus and new struggles that pop up after the initial POOF.  I do not have the secret, I've only been a (surprised? sometimes frustrated?) observer in this process.) 

No comments: