Saturday, October 18, 2014

A 14 yo

My oldest turned 14 yesterday and I'm so proud of her for the young woman of God she has become.

She was a snuggily little baby, who was happy as long as she was held or fed.

She was a cautious, observant toddler. Not shy, she liked people and social activities, but preferred to watch from my lap.

She hated the unpredictable. Rolling over as a baby was frightening! Slides at the park were terrifying. Even now, rollercoaster rides are horrible, but kiddie rides are fun!

She didn't need many toys to amuse her. Christmas and birthday gift shopping was difficult; however, time with family and friends was invaluable.

This is the child I didn't know how to discipline or teach. She'd suffer any consequence with stoic determination - sure of her own justification. This also meant I never had to worry about peer pressure, or going along with the crowd. She did whatever she thought was good, right, and fair - but in her own good timing, and in her own good way.

Today, she is confident in who she is and what she believes. She is hardworking and self-motivated. I can trust her to organize, manage, and perform tasks well. She has an amazing logic that simplifies things. She's not afraid to tell you what she thinks.

It is a joy to be with her - I enjoy her company (except during math, but that's a separate blog post for another day). I marvel that this same chubby baby grew into an obstinate and challenging 6 year old, but then matured into this strong, responsible young woman she is today. I'm excited to see where God takes her next.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday, A! And happy birthing day, Sarah. What a lovely tribute!

Jamie said...

What a lovely post, and a lovely young lady.