Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Schole!

schole

History of word "school" from dictionary.com:
[Old English scōl,  from Latin schola  school, from Greek skholē  leisure spent in the pursuit of knowledge]

According to Merriam Webster online:
Middle English scole, from Old English scōl, from Latin schola, from Greek scholē leisure, discussion, lecture, school

One of the workshops I attended in Cincinnati was Christopher Perrin's Schole!  I did not realize that the history of the word included leisure and discussion.  In Ancient Greece, teacher and student often had discussion while walking, or leisure with good food and drink.  Are you having school or schole?

Often, I get caught up in the pressures of getting my kids set down at a desk, bending over schoolwork for a few hours.  I get wrapped up in my own angst about what we're doing vs. what we're not doing, and how that might compare to what a Real Education is supposed to look like.

I am challenged to bring "schole" into our school.  I'm trying to bring more of a sense of "leisure" into our home school, rather than the sense of hurry and angst, in this educational race against time.  I'm not pulling mules to the finish line (although, many days it feels like I am!)  Instead, I'm walking alongside my students, challenging their ideas with questions and discussion.  When we're all feeling somewhat mule-ish, then I no longer need to push them (us), but set us down to a pleasant table of good things.  This education is a meal to be enjoyed with good company along the way, not a race against time.

No comments: