Sunday, December 1, 2013

3 Reasons We Stopped Journaling

A friend of mine required weekly journal writing from her children.  I thought this was a terrific idea, until we tried it.

[caption id="attachment_97" align="alignnone" width="540"]wpid-20131201_152100.jpg Reads: Im having a dog shooe (show) can you com to the dog shooe (show)? I love you mom and ples com. rit (write) yes r (or) no in the dox (box)[/caption]

1. The backwards writing frightened me:)

[caption id="attachment_98" align="alignnone" width="540"]wpid-20131201_152122.jpg Reads: Mama I'm hungre (hungry) can you fed (feed) me and can you git (get) Barbies owt (out) for me yes or no in the dox (box)[/caption]

2. It was always followed by a request ("feed me," or "play barbies with me")

[caption id="attachment_99" align="alignnone" width="540"]wpid-20131201_152136.jpg Reads: Cen (can) you qlay (play) barbies with me. The barbies are giting (getting) married. Don't mine (mind?) the wedding. yes or no in the dox (box)[/caption]

3. Each entry was repetitious. And I always ended up playing barbies.

For the record, this child is now 13. She writes correctly (and quite well, I think). She feeds herself. And now she requests a puppy instead of barbies. So take heart, fellow mamas in the trenches of homeschooling!

No comments: