Thursday, May 30, 2013

Practical people

I'll share a story that exemplifies the difference between my oldest daughter and me:

Today, we were driving along when a sudden thunder shower hits us HARD.  I can barely see the road, and I'm squinting at the cars ahead.  I turn on the radio, explaining, "I need to listen to the weather because I don't want to be out of the house if there's a tornado." 

My very practical firstborn says, "You don't need to listen to the radio.  Look, it's clear skies up ahead."

A minute or two more, and just as suddenly as it had started, it stopped.  The clouds were behind us.  I think our conversation continued a bit longer, with me protesting that I needed the information about the storm, and with her wondering why I should need it when simple observation tells us everything we need to know.

No comments: