Saturday, August 6, 2011

Weekly Review and looking ahead

We just started back to a (fuller) homeschool schedule at the end of July.  Here's what we've been working on:

Horizons Math (grs 3 & 5)
Exploring American History (CLP They read 1 chapter ea. day and write a 3-5 sentence summary)
Witch of Blackbird Pond (literature, colonial days, puritan)
Daily Paragraph Editing 4
Time4Learning (I think this will be our last month doing this before I turn it off)

In Sept, I plan to start:

Elemental Science Biology (Logic Stage) - will be doing experiments with a friend
AWANA (Bible memory verse program)
Co-op classes

I'd also like to -
work more on writing (still thinking of ideas, here)
work more on handwriting
work on typing
add in some mapwork (I'd like the kids to memorize the locations of the 50 states)
I'd like to start back with Grammar, but I feel that if I am ignoring Writing and Handwriting, then maybe Grammar should be put on hold for awhile
Spelling is another thing that is iffy for me.  I'm tempted to try Sequential Spelling.  My thought, though, is that if we aren't Writing, then we aren't learning to use Spelling in a useful way.

Next year is a work in progress (still!) and I'd like to get better organized.  I'm also fiddling with the idea of Filing my entire year up front, LOL!  It'd be a lot of work this month, but it might make a big difference in what kind of year we have.  Our last 2 years have felt like real flops!

No comments: