Saturday, June 18, 2011

Weekly Review 6/13-17, 2011

The kids did T4L and Math during the daytime, and at night, dh gave the kids the IOWA test.  After that, I went through the test, seeing what the kids had gotten correct and what they hadn't.  I jotted down some subject areas to cover with them. We're covering some of those subject areas, so I can see if they actually understood how to do it, or if it was a problem of time constraints, or not careful reading.

On Wednesday, we signed up for the library summer reading program.  Our biggest challenge in participating in the summer reading program is finding a good balance of literature for them to read.  In other words, the kids want to read 10 easy books that they could read in an hour (Babysitter's Club - yuck - which is way below their reading level ability).  I think the summer reading program is pointless if you can read all 10 books in 1 day.  So we've been negotiating.  If they read 2 fat books with challenge to them, then they can read 8 Babysitter's Club books for the library program.  If they read 1 really fat book, then they can read 9 Babysitter's Club books.  I think Z will go for the 1 fat book, A will go for 2 Narnia books & 8 Babysitter's Club books (the kids don't like the Narnia books because of the difficult, archaic writing style).

On Friday, we had a park day.

Sometimes I feel really disappointed in homeschooling.  I'm struggling with a 2yo that makes my attention to the older kids very weak and strained.  I feel that curricular scope and sequence teaches things that aren't important, while skipping over important skills that my children need to succeed in life.  And I feel my children lack motivation to seek positive challenge and goals.  I feel very stuck here, and would like to change things.  The reason the kids do not go to school is for the same:  pointless curriculum, lack of skills being taught, and ineffective teaching.  They may as well stay home!  I'm working on it - it is important to me that my children receive the best education that they can!!

I am reading a book called The Global Achievement Gap; which is a real eye opener.  It is about some of the gaps in American education.  It addresses two major gaps: the gap between low income urban schools and upper income suburban schools, and the Global Gap with countries like Finland, South Korea, and Singapore, vs. low to mid scoring countries like the United States.  The question is: how can Americans close this global gap?  The author addresses high school kids being unprepared for college, and college kids being unprepared for the workplace.  How can we better prepare our students?  And he lists 7 skills for success - the tools that students really need to do well in college and in the workplace, as well as to be a good citizen.  Surprise!  It's not Algebra or Grammar...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I am trying to get back to regular commenting. I tend to read and not comment. The Global Achievement Gap book sounds interesting. Are you going to tell us the 7 skills?