Sunday, June 19, 2011

Seven Survival Skills

As an addendum to my last post, I'll post the Seven Survival Skills listed in the book The Global Achievement Gap.  Here is my source (so you know I'm not just copying things out of books without author permission).  It is worth visiting his site to read some of the quotations he has next to each skill.  It is also worth getting the book to read it and see his descriptions of each skill, and why it is important.
http://www.tonywagner.com/7-survival-skills

  1. Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
  2. Collaboration Across Networks and Leading By Influence
  3. Agility and Adaptability
  4. Initiative and Entrepreneurship
  5. Effective Oral and Written Communication

  6. Accessing and Analysing Information
  7. Curiosity and Imagination
I'm halfway through the book.  It is relevant to me because I hear my husband come home from work and say so many of the same things about skills needed on the job.  It is also relevant because I think I dismiss these skills in teaching my children.  I spend more time trying to fill them with information, or teaching in order to cross things off of my educational To-Do List.  I'm sure I'll share more about this on my Ordinary Canary blog at some point soon (just gotta find the time!)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing that, Sarah. I will have to make time to read that book at some point!