Tuesday, November 30, 2010

NaNoWriMo ends tonight:)

And I hit my goal - 50,059 words yaaaay!!!
It's not a great story, but the things I need to work on as a writer definitely became apparent.
("He looked at her, she glanced at him. They looked at each other. She looked at him suddenly, her eyes sparkling.") Yeah, there's a lot of looking going on, LOL. There's also a lot of -
She got up, got dressed, and ate breakfast. (yawn)
or
And then he left the room. He entered the room. He opened the door. He closed the door. He locked the door behind him.
That's got to sink a story, don't you think? LOL. So those are the sorts of things I need to learn how to do better in a story. Here's a list of things for me to work on -
  • Expressions, eye contact, gestures, and other ways of relaying meaning between characters.
  • Transitions through normal day events (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
  • Time (is it summer or winter? is it told over 3 days, 30 days, or 3 years?)
  • Entering and exiting rooms
  • Descriptions (a nice balance of description that comes alive, but doesn't bog down)
  • Balance between dialogue, descriptions, and action

I plan to edit the story, mostly working on the first 3 or 4 items on my list.

The kids -
Z (the 8yo) completed somewhere between 2,000-3,000 words (we still need to piece her story together from 2 different computers). She still needs to write something that pulls together both pieces of the story from the two computers. Her story has great promise. It's a fantasy with lots of dragons and fighting bad guys and ancient ruins. Very exciting! I'd love to see this get developed further and maybe have some illustrations to go with it.

A (the 10yo) started off with a nice, down to earth character that she could relate to (it was her fictional counterpart, lol). The problem first was that she didn't want anything to happen to the character, and so didn't write anything. The character had breakfast (at my prompting LOL, because apparently I really like breakfast). After that, the character's life. just. stopped. Next, she reverted to using family names, animated all non-living household items and had them attack the family members. It was explained as an alien attack. OK, getting more exciting, but after a full page of that, we tuckered out on that plan. And so, she stopped writing most days. When she did, I set the goal of 100 words = 1 nips candy. So each day was "I did school. I hate math. I ate a bagel. I'm only doing this for nanowrimo to get my 100 words so I can have a nips candy." Obviously, the 10yo needs some help. But, this is my child that has always been a bit of a stinker when it comes to goal setting and rewards. She's kind of a lazy perfectionist. Wants to be perfect, but doesn't want to put the work into it, so why bother? Finding her motivation is our sticking point in life. lessons. everything. Sigh. But there's always next year. God bless her, I do love her though. LOL. When I'm at my wits end, I think about that newsletter she made in Publisher in Sept. That's enough to carry me through this year, I think;)

No comments: