Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Not Back to School Blog Hop

Not Back to School Blog Hop

I am participating in the Not Back to School Blog Hop at Heart of the Matter. This week's goal is to share your curriculum for the start of the new school year. Here's ours:

The 9/10yo will do BJU Math 4 and then Math 5. We are moving quickly through 4 and I will be skipping all the easy units (measurement, telling time, geometry, etc.) We will focus only on the chapters that deal with Place Value, Adding / Subtracting, Multiplying / Dividing. We'll probably do the last chapter on Pre-Algebra, although this gets repeated in 5th gr, too. The 7/8yo will do BJU 3rd gr Math.

BJU English 5 - I'm hoping to do English for 3 days per week, but doing 2 lessons per day. We'll skip the back side of the page, unless needed. We'll also do the writing portions this year, but I won't be so stuck on the whole write - edit - copy - edit - copy - edit - copy/publish, which kills all joy. The 7/8yo will do BJU 3rd gr English.

BJU Science 5 & Science 3 - yes, going textbook this year. I'm hoping Science will be done independently. I also plan to keep on the same topic for both and take monthly trips to the Cranbrook Science Institute, where we purchased a family pass this year.

Story of the World 3 for History. May or may not do mapwork and pull in extra books. Actually, I think we'll do a little mapwork, read through 2 chapters per week, and then when we hit the big ol' American history section at the end, pull in some extra reading from the Sonlight Core 3 list.

Spelling. Thinking seriously about pulling out Spell to Write and Read (SWR) and give it a go. Ugh. It's so time consuming and teacher-involved. I keep trying to figure out a way to do it *without me*, LOL, but it just isn't designed for that. Even so, I think spelling lists are a waste of time and I think it would be better if we learned spelling rules in relation to words. SWR is one of the best on the planet for that purpose. Sigh. ETA: 1 week later & I'm thinking about using Natural Spelling, or just pulling up a list of the top 1000 words off the internet. Who knows?

AWANA (Bible) - both girls will be in T&T this year. We'll be devoting 20-30mins each day to this.

Bartlett's Familiar Quotations - this is our 2nd? 3rd? year doing this. The kids read 1 page from Bartlett's Familiar Quotations and then pick 1 quote to copy on paper. This has been a great way to learn famous words from famous people!

The biggest change this year is...I hope to stay awake through lessons! LOL. Well, that's part of it. I'm also going to implement a lesson plan system. I am making out a master list of every lesson and every workbook page for each subject. Each subject is on one page, so I can see how far we are into our lessons each day and cross them off. The students will get their own planner, and can use my lesson plans to write in their plans each week (I may do the filling in, don't know yet). They will be responsible for getting their work done each week. I will post pictures and write more about my system once I get it all pulled together. For now, I'm still waiting for some of our schoolbooks to arrive.

1 comment:

Homeschooling6 said...

Will you keep us updated with how Bob Jones Science works out? I really want to use it next year but more as an independent science program.