Friday, August 13, 2010

BJU Science Lesson Plans - How I Made Them

I am using BJU for Science this year without the Teacher's Guides. I've gotten a lot of "shame, shame", and "you know it won't be complete program without the teacher's guides" kind of comments. Herein lies the truth: I don't want a complete science program. I want to just barely get in some science and then check it off of my list. Why? Because in year's past, I've always planned to do science up in a big way, and give my children an amazing science education. Has it happened yet? Well, I like to think that we've sparked some interests and have seen some fascinating things. But from a "science program" perspective, no...we have not done science in a big way, nor even close to complete way. It usually gets shelved altogether. Which leads me to this - science done perfectly is science that isn't done at all. I'd rather not have the Teacher's Guides, because then I'll see what cool things we should be doing, realize that I cannot do those things, and then not do science at all. So I chose not to use the Teacher's Guides, and I have decided to give my children a half-hearted science education this year (which is better than no science at all). Ahem. So without further a-do, allow me to introduce you to my science lesson plans, and how I made them!

I discovered there are two ways you could go about lesson planning without the TM's. One is to use *only* the student text. You'll be missing some experiments this way, and all of the activity sheets that go along with the student text. However, I think it is do-able, and really depends just how "complete" you want your science to be. (Incomplete science isn't necessarily a bad thing, right?)
Method 1: Using only the student text
You'll break up your lesson every time you find one of those question boxes. You could have your student read the text, and then write out the answers to the questions on paper. I think this would be a nice and simple way to do science.

See the green box called "Quick Check" above. Your student could read the text and then answer these questions. Every so often, you'll run into a 1 or 2 page experiement. This would go into the lesson plans as one day. So...Day 1 might be to read pages 4-7 and answer the Quick Check at the bottom of page 7. Next day (not pictured) read pages 8-11 and do the Quick Check. And then the next (also not pictured) is the experiment day on pages 12-13. This way, you'd end up with about 24 weeks of science lessons. Note: I also own Grade Level 3, and they break up the Quick Checks differently. Here, you'd probably want to end the reading lesson every 2nd Quick Check, and have your child answer 2 Quick Checks.

Method 2: Using the Activity Guide as your lesson planner.
You'll use the numbers at the bottom of each page in the student Activity Guide (workbook). See the bottom right on this page? See it up close below...

It says here "Lesson 53; pp.124-29" This means that it is Lesson number 53. Your student will read from the Student Text pages 124 through 129. And then he'll do workbook page 75. You have to look at the bottom of each workbook page, because it might also say "Lesson 53" on page 76 of the workbook, too. If so, then your student will read the student text pages, and then complete the Activity Guide pages 75-76. This is the method I used and came up with the lesson plans below:

Above is just a snippet. You can see the whole thing here. And you can see my 3rd grade plans here. Occasionally, I ran into an Activity page that said "Lesson 92" and then the next page was "Lesson 94". Where did Lesson 93 go? I'd look in the student text and sometimes see review questions at the end of the chapter, or an experiment. I used this to fill in the blanks of missing lesson numbers in the Activity book. Sometimes I couldn't figure out where the missing lesson number went, so I'd split up the last lesson into 2 lessons, or put a question mark (which we'll most likely skip altogether).

I have sworn a solemn vow to keep this blog updated with our science throughout the year and how it works for us. Hopefully this one won't get shelved like the rest!

1 comment:

Homeschooling6 said...

Sounds (looks) good to me. And I hear ya about no science getting done. This is why we are using BJ Heritage Studies this year. I don't plan to use everything in the Teacher Manual (um, like doing a lesson before the lesson.
If we go with Bob Jones Science next year we'll most likely be using the textbook and activity book only as well.
Thanks for sharing =)
Oh, with our filing, so far I've only taken apart the workbooks which are perferated, with the exception of McRuffy Science.
My older kids prefer the books in one piece too.