Thursday, May 20, 2010

What was I trying to say?

One of the fun things about homeschooling is all the learning style quizzes! We recently took one about how Visual-Spatial you are. Visual-Spatial are the whole-picture, puzzle solving, map reading folks. They typically can't show you how to solve a math problem step-by-step because they see the solution in their head. No one is 100% VSL, but we can all have a part of our brains that function this way (some stronger VSL than others). I've realized that the word center of my brain tends to be VSL. That is why I can't remember words or I use words incorrectly. Often the words are close or very similar, just have very different meanings.

Example: last week, I was talking about vigorous math. LOL. I meant rigorous math. But in retrospect, I think vigorous math sounds more fun;)

Another thing that happens, a simple word is completely erased by my brain. I can see it in my mind, and end up using vigorous (lol) hand motions and words describing the object. Take this, for instance -

It's fluffy and white, and squishy. It's cylindar shaped and you can eat it. It's a marsh-something. It's a marshmallow!

As an inspiring, no I mean aspiring writer, this makes it very difficult to write. Maybe I should find another hobby...

No comments: