Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Yesterday's update was written during -
the 8yo: "How do you spell 'checklist'? How do you spell 'other'? How do you change bullet points on the computer? How do you-"
the 6yo: "Mom, I don't know what to do. Mom, no one will play with me. Mom, I want a carrot. Mom, I can't find the carrots..."
the husband: (calling from upstairs) "are you busy?"
and the baby: (in her sleep, but on the verge of waking up) "squeek, screech, squawk, errrt"

Needless to say, it was poorly written:) Now for the real one:

Georgyana is 4 lbs 1 oz, and 18 inches long. The dr & NICU nurses have all said to somewhat isolate the baby until she gets bigger. She shouldn't be passed around by other adults. Anyone that does hold her should wash their hands thoroughly first. She should have limited exposure to people. This means - no trips to Meijer until she's 8-9 lbs, & means that she should stay with us in church, covered by a blanket in her seat or otherwise protected from sneezes & coughs. We need to be cautious about having her around people that smoke - the smoke smell on their clothing can be dangerous for her young lungs. We have gotten the OK to go to co-op in the fall & church, but to limit her exposure to people (i.e., she stays with her parents during that time, not in the nursery).

I'm starting to learn her little language:) "I'm cold" = feed me. "I'm hungry" = feed me. "I'm uncomfortable" = feed me. And "I hate the taste of these nasty vitamins" = spit, spit, feed me, oh yuck, now what do I do? Basically, everything translates into "feed me", LOL. If she acts hungry, but only eats little bits, or isn't sleeping, it's probably because she's cold or uncomfortable. She seeks comfort from food (awww, just like her mommy!), so my job is to figure out whether she is really hungry or something else. Of course, it doesn't hurt to feed her anyway, because she's putting on the weight like a champ. She also poops like a champ & burps like a champ. What's not to like? Oh, and she spits up like a champ. As the NICU nurse said, "she's going to give you a lot of laundry!" Once I understood the "discomfort = feed me" equation, I have been able to get her to sleep 2-3 hour intervals at night, yay! I know it won't last forever (afterall, there will be growth spurts, teething, terrible twos...), but it's nice while it lasts. Ahhhh, sleep!

I've gotten this question a lot lately: Have I gotten her to nurse (breastfeed)? No, but we're trying. I think there are times when it is easier to get them nursing, and I'm waiting for our time. If I could get her to latch & stay latched, then I might be able to try an SNS to get the nursing rolling. Until then, we'll keep trying, I'll keep pumping breastmilk, and we'll see what happens...If you have any Successful Nursing Preemie stories, feel free to send them my way!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Thanks for posting the update!!! Sounds like you're getting to know your new addition quite well now!