Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Winter doldrums

It hits me every year about this time. I'm fed up with being cold all the time. I'm tired of feeling trapped inside, surrounded by endless snow. I'm tired of having the same winter morning, and same winter afternoon every. single. day. I'm tired of our schoolbooks, and I'm tired of turning to the next page in our workbooks every day. Our schoolbooks are working very well for us this year, but even so - I'm just tired of them. I'm tired of our library's limited books, and bringing the same 15 books home from the library every week (because the kids never grab something new).

I want a clean house, and warm weather, and something different.

It's always this time of year that I want a complete make over in our day. If we relax-schooled, I want textbooks. If we textbooked, then I want to relax-school. So now I'm wanting to ditch our textbooks and dive head long into pleasure reading, exploring nature centers, and getting together for playdates. I feel such a sense of dread at picking up our schoolbooks this morning (ok, so there's nothing new, but really...it's worse today!)

Perhaps this is the time I really need to go back on our schedule (which lasted for 1 beautiful week and then fell to pieces). Exercise would probably help. And free afternoons to go out and explore. A clean house would probably lift my spirits, too. But it all seems like so much work. Just the thought makes me want to crawl into a cave and hibernate. Wake me up for spring!

3 comments:

MICHELE said...

We all go through this!
You're not alone..

I hope the day is unfolding a little brighter, today!

Mich.

Lisa said...

I have to fight the urge every day to just let them watch (educational) tv. To sleep in. To just sit and read. It helps a lot that I made all my lesson plans for January ahead of time and I'd be all messed up if we actually did that stuff. So, I am pressing on. The winter doldrums are something I've been experiencing for years. I even had them when I was teaching, but it was more into February. January is a great time to try something different even short term. The college I attended had Interim session in January - a short semester only 1 month long that you took only one intensive class. Some people took the opportunity to do a practicum, a mission trip, or something equally as unique. I wonder sometimes about translating that experience into home education, especially as the kids get older. Hang in there!

Michelle said...

Wow. I could have written this post myself! Feeling the same way around here.

Lisa- that's an interesting idea to do a "J" term in January. I have to keep that in mind for next year...